Monday 8 January 2018

Will by Christine Bernard (Book Review)

About the Book

No power comes without a price! A supernatural thriller that will make you wonder, "What would I have done?"

What would you do if you stumbled across a magic eight ball with all the answers? Would you ask it for lottery numbers? Would you ask about the love of your life? That’s what thirty-six-year-old Will Pearce did. However, nothing good comes without a price. Will learn ...

My Review (4 / 5 Stars)

Having read Unravel, Christine Bernard's previous work (Which has nothing to do with Will, but I only mention it for comparative purposes), I should have known what to expect from this one. And I guess I kind of did, but it still took me by surprise.

This book is amazing. The pacing is just perfect, and the pain our protagonist goes through is just delicious in the way it's described.

Here's a brief synopsis, in my own words:

Meet Will. Will is your everyday normal, boring guy. Every day, he wakes up in his boring bedroom, makes himself a boring slice of toast, which he drinks with his boring regular tea on his boring balcony. Then he heads off to his boring advertising job in a boring grey building, where he sits staring at a toilet door opening and closing all day.

One day, Will discovers an old Magic Eight Ball in a shop, buys it, and his life changes forever. It's a MAGIC Magic Eight Ball! What follows is a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows, ups and downs, as the ball sends him to new heights... and then makes him pay the price.

I won't give anything away, but the ending is so completely unexpected, it left me reeling for days.

The copy editing of this book is way better than it was in Unravel, and I hear the author got a new editor for her second book. Still not perfect, but what book is these days? It holds its own amongst the most popular traditionally published books, anyway.

I still had that annoying lack of a linked table of contents, but it didn't bug me so much in this one as it did in Unravel. I guess I was expecting it....

Click here to find out where you can get yourself a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment