Tuesday 8 October 2013

So You Want to Sell a Million Copies?

To be perfectly honest, I picked this book up because I was looking for something to blog about. But then, a lot of people find a lot of real gems that way.

Reading this book won't make you sell a million copies of your book... but then I didn't expect it to, and I doubt anyone else would expect it to either.

It's a wonderful motivational and instructional piece, in which the author gives candid, honest advice about what it's like to be a writer, as well as a marketer and networker. Using examples from her own life, and the process of submitting her own book to agents and publishers, she opens her life to her readers, letting them know that they're not alone.

There's lots of advice on how to get published the traditional way. I'll admit, I only skimmed those bits, since traditional publishing isn't really something I'm interested in. Still, those sections offer valuable insights into how the publishing world works, and helps you to see things from different perspectives.

I really enjoyed her section on joining or starting a writers group, though. Every writer needs other writers to bounce ideas off of, and who will rip your manuscripts to shreds and expect you to do the same as well. Joining such a group is definitely something I'm going to be strongly considering!

The book ends with some simple writing exercises you can try if you're ever short of ideas or inspiration. I'm definitely going to try some of those!

It's a wonderful book, in which the author poors her heart out on her sleeve; definitely just the inspiration I needed!

For the video review, click the Play button below:

No comments:

Post a Comment