Tuesday 18 June 2013

How to Write a Dick

For my monthly spot on useful (and not-so-useful) books for writers, I came across this gem on Goodreads. It's called How to Write a Dick: A Guide for Writing Fictional Sleuths from a Couple of Real-Life Sleuths, and it's geared towards writers wanting to incorporate fictional investigators in their stories.

After reading it, all I can say is that this book was fantastic! It's a (I think) really comprehensive look into the lives of real life Private Investigators, the challenges they face and the real legal issues of what they can and can't do.

I'm not sure how useful it would be to a writer outside of the United States, because it's very American in context. However, it does point you in the direction of questions you would need to ask about the similarities/differences in the various laws of your country of choice.

Ultimately, though, I found it incredibly interesting as a book about PIs, and not so much as a writing resource.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to writers, but it's a great book which stands on its own. If you happen to be a writer in America, though, or writing a story set in America, it may be right up your street!

And while you're about it, have you read my fantasy short story, A Petition to Magic, yet? You can watch a video of me reading the free sample on YouTube, and if you decide to buy it, you can get it from Smashwords, Amazon, or Booktango. South African readers can even buy it from Kobo and pay in Rands!

No comments:

Post a Comment