Tuesday 19 February 2013

Psychology 101 for Writers & Their Characters

Psychology 101 for Writers & Their CharactersI read this little essay/instructional piece last week. I've decided that, at least once a month, I'm going to read something about writing. Whether I use the advice or not, it's good to get different perspectives on what to do and what not to do, as a writer.

My overall impression of Psychology 101 for Writers & Their Characters is that it contains some sound advice, but it's pretty poorly written. It speaks about various psychological aspects that may help or hinder you in your writing, and explains how to use those same aspects when describing the characters you write about, so that they come across as real people instead of one-dimensional cardboard cut-outs.

The problem seems to be, to me, that it's written much like a dissertation in psychology. The author uses very technical language, and jargon, which makes it difficult to follow at times. You can read my full (and admittedly, rather harsh) review on Goodreads, here. The article itself is available for free from various online ebook retailers. I'm sure a Google search will turn it up.

Oh, and while you're about it, won't you please consider taking a look at my short fantasy tale, A Petition to Magic? It's a story about a Wizard who has forsworn casting magic. The story has been described by reviewers as a fun, short read, with a clear message, reading almost like a parable. It's likewise available at various ebook retailers. Please Google it, and have a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment